Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist 6/1-6/7


Q: Tell us a little about yourself…
My name is Jamie. I'm an illustrator/artist and jewelry maker. I love anything miniature and I also LOVE food. So I think it was onlynatural that I would combine the two. My favorite medium to work with is polymer clay. It's so versatile and great for making teeny tiny things. I graduated from Rowan University in 2006 and have been looking looking looking for a job since. But I've found that I have a lot more fun working on my jewelry and little art pieces. I started by selling my things on Etsy, but I hope to one day get my own website up and running. If anything, to at least showcase my portfolio.

Q: How long have you been doing this?
I've been selling my jewelry on Etsy since February 2006, but I've been creating forever! If I wasn't making something for homework or class during high school and college I was using my spare time to make other crafty things and brainstorm new ideas. I feel kind of guilty when I'm not in the midst of creating something. Like I'm wasting precious time!

Q: Who/What inspires you?
So much inspires me. I have to try to keep a sketchbook and pencil at arm's reach at all times in case something flies through my head out of nowhere. Bright colors, art deco, bold patterns, Japanese culture and foods are all inspiring to me. But everyday things are inspiring too. Like right now I'm looking at my roommate's bangs and the shape they're making is perfect for one of my Lil Dumplin creations. I have to remember that for later…

Q: What's your favorite piece?
Right now my favorite piece (…or pieces) are my Lil Dumplin line. I've been brainstorming for a while now a really cute line of little figurines. They're made of polymer clay that I sand smooth and hand paint. They kind of resemble Russian stacking dolls. And of course they feature miniature food on top of their heads. It's great because they're so customizable and also fun to make. They put a smile on my face.

Q: If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be & why?
This might sound silly, but I wish I could meet my cat Anais I used to have when I was in high school. She had thyroid disease and I had to give her medicine every day. The selfish teenager I was, I treated it like a burden, but it kept her healthy. One day she disappeared and a week later my mom found her under a bush at the edge of the road. She must have gotten hit by a car. I feel like I never got any closure. I want her to know I'm sorry for being so insensitive and that I love her.

Q: If Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter dueled, who would win? Why?
My boyfriend will yell at me for this, but I'd have to say Harry Potter. While I do believe it would be a formidable match, I kind of like the Harry Potter movies more, so that's what sways me. Again, shh, my boyfriend can't know.



2 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

Her shop is the cutest!

Unknown said...

What a cute shop!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin