Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist 6/15-6/21


Q: Tell us a little about yourself…
I always end up back in to the art world! I am mostly a self taught artist. I attended college for art and took many art classes. For what I am doing I have learned greatly on my own. So I look at the whole thing as a constant learning experience. I am married now for 20 years with no children. However we have a dog (we rent the house from her)! who may as well be our child! Sadly she has a better life than some people. I am an avid gardener when there is time. I like to think of it as a reflection of my art and good therapy. I was lucky enough to put the "corporate" world behind and devote my time to my mosaics. Sometimes I get obsessed with it but I can honestly say that I am truly happy with what I do. How many people are lucky enough to say that?

Q: How long have you been doing this?
4 years- 3 years officially as a business. I started making mosaic gazing balls out of bowling balls when my sister asked if I could put tile on a mirror. EUREKA 1 A light bulb appears from above and here I am!


Q: Who/What inspires you?
My mom and dad. My dad because even though he died at a young age he taught me a strong work ethic. My mom had 2 strokes and even through all of that she had a great attitude and woke up every day and was thankful for what she had and the world around her. To me, it truly was a gift to be given such inspirational parents -- each in their own way. Q: What's your favorite piece?
Hard question- 2 answers. Quite possibly that might have to be my tea light swirl. That piece looks so nice when the candles are lit and the light reflects off of the tiles. It doesn't matter what colors I create it in but it just seems to turn out just right. My other answer is any custom piece. Nothing brings me more joy than to see the expression on someone's face when I show them what they ordered. It's nice to bring some happiness into someone's life.

Q: If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be & why?
If I were to meet someone from the art world my first gut reaction would be Monet. I have studied him so much that I feel that I already know him. I would [also] go with Picasso his work is so off the wall, so I would love to know what went on in his mind.

Q: If Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter dueled, who would win? Why?
Not to be too diplomatic - I would have to say it would be a draw. Both are such iconic characters from this century, in their own way, they both were on a quest to fight evil and overcome adversity. Basically the world depended on them. So my hope is that they both survive.



3 comments:

Kelly Drill said...

Wow. Amazing work. Great feature!

Kristin said...

I love mosaics! Such talent!

Unknown said...

Wow, those are truly BEAUTIFUL!!! What a wonderful feature of such a talented mosaic artist!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin