Sunday, August 24, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist 8/24-8/30



Q: Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Kelly and I’m a craftaholic. Ok, maybe not so much a craftaholic, but I’m most certainly a paper addict. I’m a full-time stay-at-home mom to my gorgeous (and slightly nutty) 2-year-old daughter, Natalie. I also provide part-time childcare for my niece in my home, do a substantial amount of volunteer work for a political action committee, along with running Macaroni and Glue. So, yeah, I’ve got a bit on my plate. I grew up in Indiana, graduated from Indiana University with a degree in theatre & drama, and moved to Seattle immediately thereafter to act professionally for a while. Once I realized, inevitably, that in order to make acting cover my living expenses, I was going to be forced compromise my “artistic standards” a bit, I determined that I’d be happier with a real job. And I’ve pretty much been looking for a creative outlet ever since. My pre-child life included stints as a film/TV production assistant, an event planner, an editor, a model (bizarre experience…), and a variety of other fun-filled joblets before I finally settled into an 8-year career in the medical ethics field. About a year after leaving my corporate job to do the mommy thing, my family relocated to a suburb of Dallas, where housing prices are much more reasonable and there are an astonishing number of things for preschoolers to do.


Q: How long have you been doing this?

Macaroni and Glue was born out of a desire to save money in the card/gift category of our budget. I’ve been selling my designs for about a year now.


Q: Who/What inspires you?

I’m inspired by all things retro and girly. I love imagery that evokes a sense of nostalgia and the innocence of a time gone by. I adore simple, clean designs and love to blend modern design elements with vintage and vintage-inspired graphics.


Q: What's your favorite piece?

My favorite piece is probably my “Call Me” notecard. For whatever reason, I feel like I hit the nail on the head with that one. I love everything about it – the font, the cool retro text box, and that great vintage telephone graphic. And I love the idea of sending a card that says “call me” rather than just picking up the phone myself. Passive aggressive, you say? Nah, not me!


Q: If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be & why?

Hmmmmm….. Gosh, there are so many actors I admire, but I’m going to go with Robert Downey Jr. I think he’s possibly the most talented actor of our time, and such a complicated, intelligent guy. I’d love to just meet for coffee and try to figure out what makes him tick.


Q: If Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter dueled, who would win? Why?

Harry Potter. Hands down. Luke’s pathetic.




Macaroni & Glue Store

1 comment:

Kelly Drill said...

Thanks for the great feature!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin