Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Son of a @#$%!


We had just returned from Peri's ballet class and the girls insisted we get the mail before going inside. It's a daily ritual and each girl claims a colorful piece of junk mail that will soon be recycled.

Peri set hers on the table and as Jim and I sat down to eat, he glanced at it and said, "What's this?" Then he started to chuckle. It was addressed to me: United States District Court. GAH!! Dagnabit! Not just a County Court, oh no, Federal, this time around. I was summoned a couple of years ago to the County Court and fortunately, after calling the night before, my number was not included in the list of people who actually had to show up. Dodged that bullet, but it doesn't look like I'll be as lucky this time.

Yet again I'm kicking myself for registering to vote. The reason I hadn't registered in the past is because I never wanted to be called to jury duty (and let's face it, you're always voting for the lesser of two evils anyway), then I was misinformed that registering to vote had nothing to do with being called for jury duty. Um, yeah, not true because I've been called twice since then and in the first letter, it informed me that my name was chosen using DMV along with Voter Registration Records. Damn.

I'm not interested in politics and local government; it's the only class in college that I got a C in, and that was by the skin of my teeth. Thank goodness for essay homework to offset the F's from the quizzes. Yes, I understand it's my civic duty, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. On the one hand, I've always been curious about what serving on an actual jury during a trial would be like, but the "I just want to congratulate you again on being selected" at the end of my letter, is going a little overboard and somehow mocks my pain.

3 comments:

April said...

UGH! That just plain sucks. I've only been called once. Had to sit in an auditorium for 8 hours, only to be told I wasn't needed. Not sure I could handle being a juror!

Alyssa S. said...

Poor Holly! Dare I jinx myself, but in my years since becoming legal (I was 18 ...um, a year ago..yeah), I've only been called up once and it was a month after I had moved up to Boston, before my hubby came up to meet me. The summons was from TX and I was technically already a MA resident, so I had an instant out...sorry, not a resident anymore...see ya. Dom got a summons once when we lived in Boston...and got selected. Half a day into the trial he got a kidney stone and was excused :) I say you work on getting strep or something...you'll be home free!

Unknown said...

Haha, oh man. I was called to jury duty when I was 19 - twice in six months!! But I was a student then, so I got out of it.

Now, I don't have a Texas driver's license, so I don't get any DMV related mail... hopefully that will continue!

Good luck to you!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin